Pages

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
Ps 139:14

Thursday, May 20, 2010

What Has Challenged Me Today...

I found this blog post by Sarie King really interesting and challenging. I encourage you to read it.

Why was it challenging? I was struck by how pertinent it is for us to teach girls and young women that the way they conduct themselves in a relationship does matter. They need to have older women model Christ-like behaviour to them. They need to have demonstrated to them an alternate way to live. But, how do we do this?

I was shocked to read that there are some young women who are auctioning off their virginity to the highest bidder. Why have women changed their attitude and views of their bodies and sexuality so dramatically?

I was brought up in a Christian family and I was taught that you should wait until AFTER marriage to have sex. I was taught that sex between a husband and a wife was SPECIAL and unique, something that the two of you shared together. So, I waited until I was married and I have only ever had one sexual partner. My sexuality is not up for grabs and it isn't a commodity. It is something that I lovingly give to my husband and no one else. I guess that I am in the minority when it comes to this. But, this should not be so.

We should be modeling and teaching the following:
"As I follow Christ, I’m to know that my body is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord
(1Cor 6:14), not only must I refrain from committing sexual immorality, nor is there to be any hint of it (1Cor 10:8, Eph 5:3). Rather, I must seek to honour HIM in all I think, in all I say, and all I do, to be a woman who is “reverent and worthy of respect” (Titus 2:2)." Sarie King (May 19, 2010).

No comments: