Pages

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
Ps 139:14

Monday, May 31, 2010

Life is Short. Have an Affair

While we were watching 'Underbelly' last night (we keep hoping that it will get better...) there was an advertisement that shocked me totally, so much so I couldn't believe what I saw. I found myself watching scenes of a couple (the woman very scantily clad in lingerie) being very intimate while the voice-over said something like, '...but this couple isn't married.' Then the voice-over continued by saying, 'Life is short. Have an affair'. It turns out that this advertisement was advertising Ashley Madison, "The World's Premier Discreet Dating Service".

I find it very frightening indeed. Have we reached a new low? I just can't get over a company advertising and encouraging so blatantly to people that they should have an affair. It's all so alluring with its anonymity and secrecy. The website holds such promise, "join free & change your life today." Your life will certainly change, alright. But, not in the way that Ashley Madison is promising. This is what they really should be saying: Life is short. Ruin your marriage. Life is short. Destroy your family. Life is short. Damage your relationships. And so forth...

Life is short. But, is this what we should be endeavoring to be doing with our lives? What we should be told is this: Life is short. Get right with God.

No comments: