Pages

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
Ps 139:14

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Absolute Shocker

After only a few hours of broken sleep, I feel like venting a bit. I had an absolute shocker with Jack last night. Dave was on a night shift last night so I was flying solo - it's much harder to cope with these things when you're alone. Here's how it went...
7.00pm - Jack put to bed, but was unsettled and crying.
7.30pmish - Jack finally went to sleep
9.30pmish - Jack woke up crying. I went in a few times to settle him. I tried picking him up and holding him for a while, I tried leaving him to cry, I tried to give him some water to see if he was thirsty, I tried giving him some food to see if he was hungry, I tried reading him a book, I tried giving him a feed (reluctantly, but at 11.30pm I was willing to give anything a go)...I tried everything I could think of, but nothing seemed to work. Sometimes, he would settle, but 15 mins or so later, he would start crying again.
12.30pm - Jack seemed upset and was whimpering even when I was holding him. I decided to give him some panadol as he may be in some sort of discomfort (sore throat? teething? he got his immunisations this week, so maybe something to do with that??). We then sat down together in his room and I read him some stories to help calm him down and to wait for the panadol to kick in. Jack calmed down and seemed happier. I put him to bed and rubbed his back, while he babbled happily. Now, I could finally go back to bed and get some sleep.
3.00am - Jack wakes up again. I go in to check on him. He's on his tummy (again!). I roll him over and leave. He makes noises on and off. I'm too tired to know what to do, so I just leave him and try to go back to sleep.
5.00am - I wake up. I must have fallen asleep at some stage, but Jack is still awake. I decide to give him more panadol. He seems to settle after this.
6.00am - Jack wakes up again. Now, at this point, I'm thinking, "Give me a break! Why are you awake?! You should be exhausted!" I decide to leave him and go back to sleep. He quietens down.
7.00am - Jack wakes up again or starts to make more noise and wakes me up. I decide to get up and feed him. He seems as happy as happy can be - go figure? I'm exhausted, but glad that he's happy.
So, that was our night. Dave just got home and I'll be telling him all about it. Interestingly, when Dave walked in the door, he saw that Jack had a huge snot string hanging from his nose and then he did a huge poo (no longer constipated!). Welcome home, daddy.

No comments: