Pages

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
Ps 139:14

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Character Frames for Jack's Room

I made these character frames for Jack's room. I think they look great.
I found some gorgeous fabric in Ikea (I love Ikea!), which I chose for these really cute and interesting characters. I picked out three characters from the fabric (a hard decision) that would work well in the frames. I also bought these frames from Ikea. They're nice and deep, which is perfect for these designs.
There are about 3 layers to each character. Each layer of fabric has thick interfacing ironed onto it. The base was cut into a square shape (the size of the frame) with the character in the middle. The first layer, I cut around the character. The second and third layers, I cut out different parts of the characters to highlight their different parts and enhance their quirkiness.

For this one, the trailor has three layers to it, to give it a 3D effect. The character's body also has three layers. For the second layer, I cut out just his body (excluding his head, hands and left leg) and his hat. For the third layer, I just cut out his arm.
In between each layer there is thick mounting tape. This is what gives it the 3D effect.I think this one is particularly cute. His beak and feet have two layers. I did three layers of his shorts to enhance their grooviness.
For the bunch of flowers, I did two layers of the light brown paper and the flowers, but only one layer for the stems.

This character is very sweet. In only did two layers. For the second layer, I cut out the watering can, his jacket and his bucket.
Well, what do you think?

I often do this style when I make cards. Using wrapping paper is particularly effected as wrapping paper has the same pictures repeated numerous times, which is what you need for this.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I think they look fabulous Bron. Well done.