Pages

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
Ps 139:14

Friday, December 4, 2009

My Job as a Mother

Today I left some dishes dirty,
The bed I made at 3.30.
The nappies soaked a little longer,
The odour grew a bit stronger.

The crumbs I spilt the day before,
Are staring at me from the floor.
The finger prints there on the wall,
Will likely be there next fall.

The dirty streaks on those window panes,
Will still be there next time it rains.
"Shame on you, old lazy bones," you say,
"And just what have you done today?"

I nursed a baby till he slept,
I held a baby while he wept.
I played a game of hide and seek,
I squeezed a toy so it would squeak.

I pulled a wagon, sang a song,
Taught a child right from wrong.
What did I do this whole day through?
Not much that shows, I guess it's true.

Unless you think that what I've done,
Might be important to someone,
With bright blue eyes and soft brown hair.
If that is true, I've done my share.
Anon

We were given this poem at my mother's group today. I found it really encouraging. I can get preoccupied with clothes washing, keeping the kitchen clean, vaccumming the floors, and keeping the house tidy. I especially want to keep the house clean so that when people drop by, the house isn't a complete mess (it's easy to feel like people are judging you). When I look back one my day, I realise that I haven't really spent much time playing with Jack and spending time just being with him. I have to remind myself that playing with Jack, talking with him, singing to him, or reading to him, is really important (and fun as well). The dishes can wait.

Has this been a challenge for you?

No comments: