Pages

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
Ps 139:14

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Becoming a Best Friend in Marriage

During the week I met up with my friend Claire. I had a great morning chatting with her & being able to spend time to share with each other. What was really valuable, though, was reading & reflecting on God's word together. We read Ephesians 4:1-16 and discussed the following questions:

1. How has God called me to walk in my marriage?
2. What gifts do I see that God has given my husband?
3. What gifts do I have that contribute to the marriage?
4. Today I will begin to thank God for one special quality He has given my husband. Each day continue with a different thanksgiving.

We spent a lot of time discussing question 2. I found this really helpful as it really forced me to think about the wonderful gifts that God has given my husband. It's so easy to focus on the negatives in people and get annoyed with people's failings, rather than focus on the good things. I was able to spend time appreciating the great qualities in Dave - he loves God, he is level-headed (which counteracts my irrationality), he is thoughtful, he is sensitive, he is loving, he has integrity, he has a great sense of humour, he is humble, he is so easy to get along with, he is committed to our relationship and he loves Jack and me so much. There are more qualities that I'm sure I've left out. In thinking about these qualities, it helped me to see how well suited Dave and I are. God certainly new what he was doing!

What gifts do you see that God has given your husband?

No comments: