Pages

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
Ps 139:14

Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Stupid Things We Say

Why do we say things when we know that as soon as we say them, we shouldn't have? 

I always find this aspect of human nature amusing.  In the classroom, I often refer to it as "verbal diarrhea".  Often in stressful or highly-charged situations we find our mouths opening, often in obstinate defiance to our brains, and out spurts a comment, which we immediately wish we had never said.  

I found myself in this situation on Thursday.  Dave and I were in the car.  This is often the quintessential scene for such problems as this, especially when one is driving and the other is directing.  I was driving (a bad sign), attempting to get out of the ridiculously organised Parramatta Westfield car park.  The lane suddenly (in my view anyway) split into two lanes.  I moved to to get into the left lane.  As I was doing this, Dave pipes up, "There's a car there, which you're going to hit."  Now, this is where the verbal diarrhea often bubbles up to the surface.  I made a remark about how I didn't like what he said, "it's not what you said, it was how you said it."  How many times have we said that?

As soon as I said it, I knew that it was a stupid thing to say and an argument would be forthcoming.  Absurdly, I stood my ground, somewhat shaky ground at this point, insisting that somehow Dave was in the wrong and I was in the right.  The hole I was digging was getting quite large now. After about 15 minutes of David explaining, in a way that Dave can only do, how ridiculous I was being, and 10 minutes of stubborn silence, I eventually conceded that my comment may have been somewhat unfair.  Why do we do this to ourselves?  

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I love you, Bron!

PS I've tagged you to do a meme on my blog.