Pages

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
Ps 139:14

Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Hobby Hoarse

For all of you who know Dave well, you would be well aware of his, shall I say, keenness for hobbies.  You would also be aware that when Dave gets into a hobby, he goes all the way with it and does it properly.  He pretty much becomes an aficionado on his current hobby. I often find it quite funny following Dave as he goes from one hobby to the next.  Dave says that his hobbies are "cyclic", so he never really gives up a hobby, he merely moves on to another one, knowing that he'll come back to the other hobby some other day.

When I first started going out with Dave his hobby was going to the gym (and I certainly didn't mind that one, let me tell you!).  Since then, Dave's hobbies have included golf, squash, tennis, basketball, cricket, indoor and outdoor soccer, home brewing, AFL, motor bikes, drums, guitar, mountain biking, coffee, coffee roasting, and so on.  I'm sure I've forgotten many more, of which, you could probably remind me.  You just need to go into our garage, where you will be shown the history of the hobbies.  

What I think is really great about Dave is that not only does he get involved in such a variety of interests, but he's pretty good at them as well.  He seems to have the knack of being good at whatever he puts his mind to (don't you just hate people like that?).  Usually, Dave goes from one hobby to the next.  But, I'm pleased to say, there's been a couple of hobbies which have stuck.  

One in particular has been his coffee.  This has been one of my favourite hobbies.  He makes fantastic coffee.  Recently, he's had a few ideas about his coffee hobby.  He's been taking his coffee machine to church every now and then, and making coffee for morning tea.  I help out and do the "shots".  He often toys with the idea of having a coffee cart at Nepean Hospital and making coffee for all the nurses, doctors, patients and visitors, who are in dire need of some caffeine.   Just this week, he took his coffee machine to playgroup and made coffee for the mothers there.  They were very appreciative of that.  One mother asked him if making coffee was his profession.  I think he was tickled pink by that.  I like the way Dave likes to serve others with his coffee and do something worthwhile with his hobby.

He also does this with his guitar playing (a hobby that he got back into last year).  He plays for church now.  When I first started going out with Dave he certainly would not play his guitar in front of groups of people.  But now, he plays for church nearly every second week.

Another hobby that Dave's into at the moment is mountain biking (he's saving up for a new mountain bike, just after he finishes paying off his guitar).  He's bought a whole range of maps, a compass, and a water backpack, and set forth to do as many of the tracks around the Blue Mountains as he can.  I think he's done about 7 now.  I went on one with him, up along Faulconbridge Ridge.  He's even done one track (starting from Martins Lookout) where he had to carry his bike down the valley, ride across the valley, and carry it back up the valley.  He did that about 3 times on his journey - crazy, isn't it?  

Well, this is the man I married - a hobby nut.  Well, it certainly makes my life interesting.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Yep - certainly lots of hobbies - um.... how about strange 'internet' computer games - ie. soccer manager? (not sure of the proper name..). I know that collectively we can come up with many more... BTW - Dave - what guitar did you get? Did you go with my recommendation - the Cole Clark? Really keen to know...